3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
4 large onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
3 cups beef stock
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste
6 slices crusty French bread
3 tablespoons butter
3 cups grated Swiss cheese, or Gruyere
1. Saute onions in oil in Dutch oven over low heat until tender and golden yellow, about 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Sprinkle flour over onions; cook a few minutes more, browning the flour well. Add stock and wine and bring to boil; add thyme and bay leaf. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Meanwhile, spread bread slices with butter and toast under the broiler, watching carefully to avoid burning.
4. When soup is ready, spoon into 6 ovenproof bowls; top each with a slice of toast. Divide cheese evenly into 6 portions and sprinkle one portion over toast in each bowl.
5. Place bowls on cookie sheet and bake in 400F oven for 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden.